Saturday, April 20, 2013

Planning for a birthday

I love birthdays! Growing up birthdays sucked in my house. They weren't important to my Mum so I felt like I missed out on a lot. I had very few parties when I was school age and it was never a special day. I remember so many years of buying my own cake, reminding my Mum it was coning up and asking for presents.

To me your birthday is the one day of the year that is about you. Not to be shared with anyone and a time to celebrate and reflect. For Andrew who had birthdays to remember he can understand why it's important to me :)
So when it comes to my kids I make sure they feel special on their day. It's not about the money or the presents it's about the time spent with them. It's taking cake to school, picking out a birthday badge or going somewhere special on their day or having a nice dinner.
Last year planning for Miss L's first birthday was hard. I only had a few weeks from the time we left hospital to her birthday. I wasn't speaking to my family then and we had no money to do anything. I handmade all the decorations and I saved to buy the basics like plates and food. We hired a hall and invited our closest friends. It was a sad day in that it was so different to how her first birthday should be, but I also celebrated leaving hospital. The fact that she was there with us was enough.

Now as we count down to her 2nd birthday on ANZAC day it feels so different. I am more relaxed about the party and the day but also happy to celebrate our milestones. Most importantly it's about her being here and being happy and healthy. So I may be busy and quiet the next few days as we plan our circus party?!
Are you a believer in birthdays being important or it doesn't matter to you?



No comments:

Post a Comment