Resources and Links

When we started our journey with Miss A there was so much we weren't told so I am slowly adding everything I have learnt here.
I am in a fantastic Facebook group called WA Special Families and we share information and support
If you are in WA and have a child with special needs please look us up: WA Special Families now known as Kalparrin Families WASF

Helpful disability links:

Local Area Coordinators:

Nappies and Incontinence:

CAPS Funding: for incontinence Continence Aids Payment Scheme: Helps eligible people who have permanent and severe incontinence to meet some of the costs of incontinence products.

Centrelink funding and schemes:

The one I blogged about- one off payment. Carers Adjustment Payment:

Concession Cards:

Concession WA website...for all eligible Government concessions not just Carers:


When you get a health care card for your child a lot of places will accept that as a concession for yourself as well. 

Also Synergy (WA) will give you a discount on your energy bill as well as a supply rebate.

There is also a companion card in most states this link is for WA:

The Companion Card is a card issued to people with a significant and permanent disability who require attendant care support from a companion to participate at most venues and activities. Cardholders present their card when booking or purchasing a ticket from a participating business. Participating businesses will recognise the Companion Card and issue the cardholder with a second ticket for their companion at no charge.

Carers WA: Carers WA is the peak body that represents the needs and interests of carers in Western Australia. We work to achieve an improved quality of life for family carers in our state.
The Carers card also acts like a Companion Card with discounts, free events and more. 

Payment if you have medical equipment running:

Better Start:
The Better Start for Children with Disability (Better Start) initiative includes:
  • up to $12,000 in funding for early intervention services and treatments for eligible children
  • additional assistance for eligible children who live in outer-regional, rural or remote locations to help with the costs of accessing services
  • a Medicare item for the development of a treatment and management plan for eligible children up to the age of 13
  • Medicare items for up to four allied health diagnostic services, the results of which contribute to the development of the treatment and management plan, and
  • Medicare items for up to 20 relevant allied health services in total for each eligible child up to the age of 15 provided the treatment and management plan is in place before the age of 13.

Hardship Grants: HUGS (Hardship Utility Grant Scheme)
Grants to help Western Australians experiencing financial hardship pay their electricity, water or gas bills.

Special Child Care Benefit:
Use this form to claim for Special Child Care Benefit and/or increased weekly limit of hours for families facing exceptional circumstances. Centrelink funded. 

Centrelink information

Provide funding assistance and grants. Through the provision of vital and practical equipment, programs and experiences, Variety helps children in need to overcome whatever obstacles they face and live life to the fullest.

Starlight Foundation:
Grants wishes of sick children, in hospital programs, community programs.

Ronald McDonald Family Retreats:
Our Family Retreats are open to any family that has had a child diagnosed with a serious illness. The entire family is welcome to stay for up to a week, although each retreat does have a maximum number of occupants

Home and Community Care
Funded support to stay in your home or to care for someone at home. Includes respite, house cleaning, meal delivery and more. 

Who is eligible?

You do not qualify for HACC support on the basis of your age, but on the level of your frailty or disability, and on your ability to carry out essential everyday activities.

How to apply

Phone the Aged Care Gateway on 1800 200 422 (free call from land line only).

Perth Home Care Services
Funding, respite, home care services and so much more. 


  1. I thought Synergy only gave discount to the health card holder ie the householder on the account and not the child.

    1. This has changed recently as we had the supply charge rebated and now it has changed.
      Anyone living at a residential premise can claim a rebate if they hold a Centrelink, DVA or WA Seniors Card. The card holder does not need to be the account holder provided that the premise is their primary residence. Please refer to the Concessions & rebates - Terms & Conditions*.
      From their webpage ^^^^
      So give them a call and tell them what card you or your child has and they wil tell you what you qualify for.

  2. I read with interest your article in Kalparrin News, my husband went to a Dad's get-together and heard of families with ongoing cleaning, holidays but unfortunately he didn't have a pen to note how they got them. Our LAC didn't know either. We have managed to get our accomodation paid for by Rocky Bay to see the Balingup Medieval Festival - we need a break from the house and everyday life not from our son with a disability!!

    1. Ronald McDonald house have free accommodation as well. If you check out their webpage they have details there. As for house cleaning and home help there are organisations like Silver Chain and Variety who provide this but we didn't qualify. Pretty poor that your LAC didn't tell you!!

  3. Hi there, I saw your Member story this time in the Kalparrin newsletter/ magazine. I had actually considered doing a similar blog myself as it is all top secret what is available to assist us. Thanks sincerely- you have already done it!!!!!

    Even my LAC is learning her job and doesn't know all the ins and outs of what to apply for. Similar with the social workers at PMH/ KEMH- some are really really great- some are new and I suuuuure would have appreciated being made aware of the carer's adjustment payment when my daughter was in hospital. I was not on benefits when my daughter was born. I say this as one other important point for people to note is that they cannot be eligible/ in receipt of ANY income support payment when they apply for Carer's adjustment payment. (Not only Carer's Payment as it says on your "Some points to remember before applying:"). This is really important point seeing how long the application forms are and how they only tell you this clearly at the end of the form, from memory.....

    Another little known fact is that a recipient of Carer's allowance or payment automatically has met the 'work/ study/training test' for eligibility for Child care rebate. The caring parent can then get the rebate for some in- home care, family day- care (and if they can help your special needs child, then a day care center too, I guess). When looking for respite, this info might come in handy for someone out there??? The Child Care Benefit and Rebate are not hugely generous, but every bit helps. Also the Rebate is means tested.

    Another great resource is the Variety Club, a lot of people already know them, but it's good to be reminded sometimes.

    Thanks so much!