Sunday, September 8, 2013

Reading and learning

Sometimes it feels like I need a medical degree just to get my girls. With a new diagnosis for Miss L and her MRI results I have been doing a lot of reading.  Although most doctors will explain things briefly they often don't explain the while diagnosis.  I find myself searching for an explanation and also for what I can do to improve things.

With Ehlers-Danlos I researched the syndrome and read up on people's life stories. Then I looked at what we are doing and what we need to change. Like in Gymbaroo there are certain exercises we shouldn't be doing as they can damage her loose joints. I found some great strengthening exercises which she can do safely.  We haven't seen her therapists yet so I'm glad I took this time to research alone.

I also started reading a book on neuro plasticity.  While very technical and full on it is giving me hope.  It goes into explanations about how the brain can change and adapt after damage. I find comfort in reading the stories of others who have improved their IQ and regained skills.

So I have spent the last few weeks doing my Mum research while waiting to speak to all the experts....

No comments:

Post a Comment