Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Speech and Physio update- Miss L

About time I updated on how Miss L is progressing...
Physio first:
We didn't have our regular Physio today but it didn't matter. Our fill in was amazing. The head of the unit she really knew her stuff. She talked the whole way through about what she was seeing. Miss L still runs instead of walks but of going a short distance from table to you she slows down. She can control her stop if only going a short distance. Her tummy still pokes out for balance and she slaps the floor with her feet. The slapping is due to her planter reflexes still developing. She is heavy footed and trips a lot. She commented on my joints as twice when rising to stand she saw my elbow rotate. For me that feels normal for her it looks strange :) The Physio also saw how she misses steps and objects on the floor. Her proprioception is quite poor. Her awareness of where each body part is in space. Miss A suffers from the same thing. She doesn't even look down for steps etc but we hope with more practice and with age she will improve. All in all a positive experience.

As for speech over the last few months we haven't seen much improvement... As all therapists have told me past and present that when they focus on one area another gets left behind.
So while Miss L focuses on gross motor her speech and communication have slipped. Not too much though. When it comes to signing she used to sign for more and finished. Now she only uses more and often uses it at the wrong time. She still has the sounds of baby and doggy which is mimicking me. When she wants something she says mummy. Not for me but its her catch all word. It means come here, feed me, give me, play with me etc
We haven't seem any new signs or words. We also haven't seen any improvement in her understanding. Speech isn't just about using your voice but also about communicating back and following instructions. 2 areas we are struggling with.
So while Physio is stepping back speech appts are now going to be weekly!
Time to play catch up.
At the end of the busy appts Miss L slept and I had 2 hours before school pick up- so I shopped :)
Time to focus on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment