Saturday, October 13, 2012

What I'm waiting for...

I got asked the other day-
What are you waiting for?
Milestones, development.... What is the next big thing you are looking forward to.

And then it hit me. She was talking about having a baby for so long. Although I don't know her well she was trying to understand how I could still be positive about the little things that Miss L does. I get excited by her eye contact, by a few hundred grams in growth and by eating lunch. I guess for someone on the outside it looks like I'm hanging out for the next big thing. I'm waiting for L to talk and walk just like any other Mum but as the blog says its the little things that keep me going.
At nearly 18 months yes I've had the baby stage longer than most but I know Mums who have had to wait until age 4 or 5 before their child walks.
For me I focus on the day to day and I have a wonderful husband who puts things in perspective. L was on a feeding tube only a few months ago and she now eats solids. Only purée and soft foods, once a day but it's food! She stood up yesterday straight from the floor and held it for about 5 seconds. She even controlled herself enough to sit down instead of falling.
My baby doesn't talk yet but babbles "mum mum" and "dad dad". I know the day she says my name I will break down but I will be happy for now that she can say the words.

In the last week of October we go for another team review. The paediatrician will do another Griffiths Developmental Test and the OT, Physio,Speech will all reassess her. We find out her developmental age and see where she has changed. They will also make the decision about where we go now. The hospital only does therapy until they are 2 and then you move on to services in the community. Fingers crossed they are as good as PMH. We have already been let down with Miss A's services.

2 comments:

  1. Your girls are absolutely gorgeous! I look forward to hearing about their milestones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I hope we have more to share soon :)

    ReplyDelete