Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Flying with kids- and special needs.

Well the flight to Melbourne was interesting. Before going we talked about it a lot with both kids and prepared them as much as possible.
  • it would be noisy and loud
  • your ears may pop or hurt
  • you have to walk to the plane and climb stairs
  • you have to sit still for a long time- longer than a movie
  • the toilet is loud and can be scary
  • we take our food but will eat in the airport
  • you carry your own bag
Well even with as much preparation as possible things do go wrong and they did. Both kids were excited but still unsure. Our flight was leaving at lunch so we checked our bags as soon as possible and put Miss L in the ergo carrier. Miss A went in the pram and we went upstairs to have lunch. They watched the planes through the window and had a play. It was time to go when they said there was a delay. Miss A had a little harness on so that was helpful, she did go running a few times though....
At this point we got the ipad out for J and he played games and A watched a movie on Daddy's phone. Distraction was the key.
When we got on board both kids sat next to the window and I was across the aisle with L in a carrier. I had a bottle of milk ready for her so she could settle on take-off. The first hour or so went well with both kids distracted and playing and L was asleep. They had food to eat and games to play.Flying in the middle of the day meant they weren't too tired either.
The problem came when A had to go the toilet...she wouldn't
She wanted to wee on the tree. She wanted me to get off the plane so she could wee. We talked back and forth for over an hour before she reached bursting point. I grabbed her lifted her out of her seat and forced her into the toilet. I undressed her and put her on the toilet while she screamed, hit me and bit me. I made her go then dressed her and took her out.
She lay on the floor screaming at the top of her lungs. Kicking the toilet door and staff. Hitting me and growling. Spitting in my face if I got too close. After a while I stood over her to protect her from people walking around. Staff asked if I needed help and I said the words: "No, she's ok, she has special needs." They were great. No judgement, nothing. They asked if she wanted chocolate and I was like no way do we want sugar. After 10 minutes she calmed down enough for me to pick her up and go back to our seat. She was still crying and saying I don't like that toilet. Well we know that now!!

When we got to the airport we got off and walked into the terminal okay but both kids were getting tired. We got our luggage and the phone came out again as both kids were wanting to run around and play. There was a taxi waiting so no stress there. We get to the hotel and have dinner and go straight to bed. We survived!!


No comments:

Post a Comment