Monday, October 22, 2012

Things I have used/made to help Miss A

A blog post I have been meaning to write for a while. A lot of the time it is trial and error here but I literally will sit and Google worldwide trying to find things to help me or A out.

For the last year Miss A has hated having her hair brushed and washed. She won't wear a shower cap so we limit the times we have a shower. While in the shower I wash her hair with really good quality SLS free shampoo and conditioner:

For some reason the baby shampoo etc wasn't cutting it. Miss A not only has a lot of hair it is very thick. She gets food, dirt and everything else in it and it so dirty in only a matter of days. After shampooing I use conditioner and brush it very slowly. The shower is one of her loves so it's a good distraction. One of my all time favourite finds I recommend to every Mum is the brush I found:

 
 
This is an amazing hair brush that doesn't snarl or break the hair. It works when wet or dry and ours has lasted for well over a year. I bought from the link above and even with shipping it's cheaper than buying here. This beats wide tooth combs and conditioning spray and every other trick I searched for.
 
 
As for eating when Miss A started eating with us she had this set:
http://www.urbanbaby.com.au/
 
This was fantastic for us as not only is it sticking to the table but the plate itself has nice high ides. She was able to scoop up food like a bowl and it didn't spill all over everything else. Also with the fork and spoon being stuck on the sides she liked that they were hers and no-one elses.
 
For her sensory side Miss A can get quite over whelmed so we have been using a weighted blanket. While some nights she doesn't have it on others she really needs it and it works well. It is a small blanket that has special beads inside to make it heavy. It feels like she is getting a warm hug and it provides pressure as well which helps her loose joints.
 
Miss A was always a sneaky one while in the car and used to love getting her arms out of the straps. I tried the Houdini Strap, the wrap around ones and more with no luck. In the end I made clips to hold her arms in. Here she is trailling the first one amost 2 years ago!
At the time I was making dummy clips here: http://vanessasdummyclips.blogspot.com.au/
and I used what I had. Very strong suspender clips with high quality grosgrain ribbon. One side was stitched on and the other was adjustable. I had 2 lengths based on the car seat style and they were adjusted using snaps. This really worked for her and last year I managed to take them off and we have been lucky ever since.
 
More to come soon......
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment