Thursday, July 12, 2012

4th birthday party!

I love birthday parties!
Over the years I have spent weeks planning and organising them on my own. Hubby is a great help on the day but doesn't get bothered by the details. I have a large family, he has a small one but even so with both families being invited we have over 30 family members coming.
For Miss L's first birthday we invited all our friends and family and not one member of my family turned up. It ended up being a smaller party but the people that were there wanted to be there. It felt so different and it made it easier to talk to everyone and make sure they enjoyed themself.
So for Miss 4 I asked her to invite who she wanted. This was about her celebrating. She has been counting down to her birthday for nearly 6 months and was very excited to choose her guests. Most were J's school friends and their siblings so we had a mix of ages plus my close friends.
It was the best kids party we have ever had. Less stress on organising adequate food, chasing up RSVP's, talking to every guest and entertaining kids. This time party games were simple and food was made for kids and adults separately- everyone had a ball!

For the birthday cake I made a Barbie cake after renting a Dolly Varden tin. I found a fake Barbie ornament that goes on top to save me chopping off a Barbies legs!
                             Just push the end in and no need to worry about hiding her legs.

             I can't believe we didn't get a photo of the front of the cake but there she is.....

We had a fairy princess theme and A wanted pink....lots of pink. So food dye was my best friend:

Party table

                                            Drinks, party bags, lollies, snacks and more.
                                                        Cupcakes, pink vanilla slices.
                Chocolate covered LCM's in cupcake cases and number 4 musk lolly on the top cupcake.
                                                Food table before the hot things came out.


For party games we played musical bobs as my 3 love to dance.


Oh yeah I painted their faces using some face paint from KMart. Fairly easy to do but the paint wasn't strong on colour. J had a web and a spider on both cheeks :)

We then did a straw game which is great for sensory seekers. I used M&M minis in a cup. You had to suck up as many as you can in one minute using a straw. The winner was the one who got the most. Lots of fun and great practice for straw use.

Some of the funniest moments were watching Miss A receive her presents. After  spending months asking for every toy under the sun the day was actually here.


                                                             A little excited maybe?
            (All children who are not mine have had their faces hidden to respect their identity)

The party went on for a few hours and then it was time to unwrap all of those presents and she had a few helpers. Last year she went mental if someone got close when she was unwrapping. She was very protective but this year she happily let other people help. Such a change.


At the end of the day I still felt relaxed and the kids had a ball. That's the thing I needed to remember it's about them afterall...






No comments:

Post a Comment