Friday, May 23, 2014

On the move

So last week the signs at the school went up saying kindergarten enrollments were open. I was like wow that's early. So I went and put in the paperwork for Miss L and asked to speak to the principal. I wanted to make sure they were comfortable with her being in the school and that they could meet her needs. When I spoke to the principal he explained that for the first time in like 10 years they had been overwhelmed with enrollments. We are out of the catchment area for the school and as such get put down the bottom of the list. Out of 40 places to fill he had 39 done in less than 2 weeks. Basically we had a 95% chance of L not getting a place. He had to give preference to everyone in area first then we would be considered. I was so shocked as when J was enrolled half of his class was out of area and he only had 18 in his kindy room!

So I went home after that meeting and started going through our options. It was always our plan to move back to that suburb but it was more expensive than where we were so it was a few years off. I thought about other school options for L, if A would cope with leaving her school and if L would get a place in a special ed unit. In the end the best option for all of us was to move. I wouldn't be driving so far each day to get to school and if anything happened with Miss L I would only be minutes away.

So to add to all of the things I'm doing at the moment I'm looking at rentals in the area and we're looking at renting our place out to sell in the future. This move will be a lot of work in the short term but it gets us where we need to be. Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment