Friday, August 16, 2013

Life as a special needs Mum -autism diagnosis

I was in my late 30’s when I gave birth to my one and only child and have always been a single Mum. Being my first child I did not realise that things were not quite normal right from the start, but looking back now, I know they weren't.

When he was a baby my son didn’t sleep. He also didn’t seem to want to eat. When he was a toddler he had a fascination with soup spoons. He would find 2 perfectly shiny soup spoons and carry them around all day waving them in front of his face. I thought it unusual but quaint. When he was almost 3 one day we had visitors who brought along a little hand held controller that you plugged into your TV, it played Pac Man. I noticed my son was mesmerised by it. He just stood there staring at the screen. That's the very moment I realised he may have Autism.

I didn’t know anything about it back then but something just clicked and I threw myself into learning everything I could about it. The more I read the more convinced I was. I immediately visited my GP and discussed my suspicions. My GP referred me to the local Child Development Centre and I booked some OT and Speech Therapy sessions. (using the care plan through your local GP which gives you a medicare rebate). Six months later we had a diagnosis. 

For me it was a shock but more than anything complete relief. Up to that point I thought I was doing everything wrong. As a parent people would say things to me like ‘ Wait until his focus comes in and you stare into each others eyes’ or ‘I be you can’t wait until he starts babbling and repeating every word you say’, and ‘its so funny when they start to show off’ etc.  Of course none of these things happened. I honestly thought I was doing things wrong. 

People, friends and family just disappeared. There one minute, gone the next. Although it hurts I do understand. Before my journey began I was one of those people who use to look at a child in the supermarket having a meltdown and think ‘Boy that kids being a brat’. I just didn’t know any better. Now I think I’m much better off only having a few close friends and family members in my life. It makes life a lot easier. Although I do have to admit, sometimes, just sometimes, I have a fleeting thought that it would be nice to go back to my old life and go just a bit crazy for once. But then I look at my son and my heart fills with joy (even though he won’t let me show it) and I couldn’t be happier. My old life was bad for my health anyway. 

We tried mainstream schooling and it lasted all of 1 hour for 2 days. I just knew it wasn’t going to work for my son. He now attends a special needs school and it’s great. He is now in grade 2 and is in what's called the satellite class. Its a special  needs class situated in a mainstream school.  He gets to play with the mainstream kids at recess and lunch but his class room is still very structured with additional full time aids etc. 

So the diagnosis lead us to answers and a pathway to follow....

For information on Autism in Australia take a look here:

http://www.autismspectrum.org.au/a2i1i1l445l487/welcome.htm
http://www.autismawareness.com.au/


In WA: http://www.autism.org.au/




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! You see so many mums go through the "I'm doing everything wrong" phase but you had justifiable reasons!

    Good luck with the future! xx

    ReplyDelete